Thursday, April 18, 2013

Hide Tanning: Sunburned Skin


My hide has been racked and waiting for me to make a move for the past three months while I moved out of one house and into another and got settled. I went down to the garage last night and got the pizza wheel scraper that Slack fashioned for me. The flesh side was not surrendering to the blade so I flipped the rack over and started working on the hair side. Much to my surprise the skin was peeling off fairly easily like sunburned skin. I felt like blurting out, "that's a keepa" as I peeled away a 6" section which revealed soft, white, suede like material.

So to date the hide has been “fleshed”, “wet-scraped”, “de-haired” and “racked”. Once I finish “dry-scraping” the hair side, I will “egg-tan”, “stretch” and “smoke” the hide, but these steps will be discussed in detail as I perform them.

No comments:

Post a Comment