Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Field Garlic

Field Garlic Flower Head
Field Garlic Bulb
Field Garlic Cloves
After two years of having seriously studied wild edibles I finally discovered Field Garlic for myself. I was ready to follow the same path I always do back to the car but decided to take an alternate route last minute. When I came to the field I immediately recognized the flower, having reviewed it profusely in my Peterson Field Guide, and then couldn't believe that its' photosynthesizing self was growing before me. The flower is supported by a tall hollow green stem that is grounded by a bulb, much like commercially grown garlic with its papery sheath encapsulating individual cloves. The flowers emerge from a sphere of what resemble blunt tipped spikes. Chive-like tendrils curl out and upward all around the surface of the sphere and emit a garlicky odor when bruised. The bulbs when crushed also smell of garlic although it is mild. Every part of this plant is edible, including the stem which can be used in place of chives and the flowers which can be sprinkled on salads. The flowers from my small experience are the most pungent portion of the plant but it could also be that it is where the energy of the plant is at this time of year. Being the flavor enhancer that it is as well as an antiviral, antibacterial, and anti fungal, and it is both food and medicine. It's amazing what you can discover when you choose to stray from your usual routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment