Sunday, May 29, 2016

Black Locust, Robinia Pseudoacacia

Black Locust, Robinia Pseudoacacia
Sometimes you can experience a plant in single-sense doses before it reveals itself. I biked by your drooping white flower clusters and feathered leaves and wondered what you were. I took in your sweet grape-like aroma while I stood below you and tried to located where you were. In early spring I studied your bark, furrowed and armed with thorns but still you remained unknown to me. Today, I stood before you and all these senses were tantalized at once- the white drooping flowers, the thorny branches, and that sweet fragrance. Your identity was confirmed on page 184 of the Peterson Field Guide, "Black Locust, Robinia Pseudoacacia...leaves...with 6-20 leaflets...paired thorns at base of leafstalks...bark...deeply ridged...flowers white...in drooping clusters...very fragrant." Connections.

Robinia Pseudoacacia, Notice the Yellow Centers
According to plants.usda.gov, this plant is native to both Canada and the lower 48 states. It is also considered invasive in the state of Massachusetts. "A Guide to Invasive Plants in Massachusetts" explains that it is an excellent nectar producer and can outcompete native plant species for pollinators. This guide warns that the leaves, seeds, and bark are toxic.


I dug up my old foraging notebook and found, wild edible expert, Blanch Derby's instructions on how to make Black Locust fritters recorded on April 23rd, 2013. It has been three years since I watched her video, "Edible Plants Wild and Tame (Spring)," and today I was going to finally give this a go. The mosquitoes were all about this odiferous tree today and I squeezed my way in and indulged alongside them. I collected over a half-dozen flower clusters, all the while consumed by their intoxicating odor.



You'll need milk, eggs, and flour. Beat eggs and milk together. Heat a pan at medium heat until 2 tbs of butter is melted. Remove any leaves and debris from the flower clusters. Leave the stems long.


Dip each flower cluster in the egg mixture.


Then coat with flour.


Place the coated flower clusters in the heated pan.


Fry each side for 3 minutes.


Spread fritters on a paper towel to cool.

Slack and I had a bite and thought they tasted great. We agree with the Peterson Field guide that the flower clusters make excellent fritters! I think sprinkling them with confectioners sugar would make them even better. Happy foraging!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this is beautiful and looks yummy.
    Another great post with beautiful drawings.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete