Thursday, September 23, 2010

I CAN Make a Stove


Ever since I met with Morning Glory, I have been itching to make my own stove, so that is exactly how I spent my "Thirsty Thursday" making a stove out of beer cans and fueling it with alcohol. Though I didn't "get my drink on" I sure did get my burner on. Below I walk you through fashioning a stove.


This is what you need: Two cans, scissors, pliers, tack, hammer, penny, matches, rubbing alcohol, thumbtack, and meal of choice (I chose Ramen:)


You begin with two cans, it doesn't matter what the beverage is or whether or not you start with them filled :)


Using an exacto knife or scissors cut around both cans about and inch from the bottom. 


Next, use pliers to crimp around the edges of one of the cans.


Fit the two cans together (bottoms facing out) so that the crimped can is on the inside.


 Using a thumbtack, punch holes around the edge of the stove every 1/2 inch (I had to use a hammer to get the tack through).

Using the thumbtack, pock holes in the center of the stove.


 Fill the stove by pouring alcohol into well (the alcohol will enter through the center holes. I filled the stove about half way). 


 Place penny over center holes and fill well with alcohol. The penny serves to keep the fuel that you pour into the well from leaking into the stove.


Light the stove and allow the alcohol in the well to heat up the alcohol inside the stove. The alcohol in the well burns off fairly quickly; I had to fill the well about four times, adding alcohol while the flame was still burning (not too sure if this was the safest option). The alcohol in the well needs to remain lit until flames shoot out the portals. At this point the alcohol in the stove is boiling. 


Once the alcohol is boiling inside the stove, flames will exit the stove from each of the portals. I think this looks pretty awesome. At this point I was really pumped and I was ready to cook some Ramen.


I cut the top off of a third can and used it as a mini pot in which to cook my Ramen. 


My stove happened to run out of fuel right as the Ramen was done (I need to experiment and figure out the amount of time a certain volume of alcohol will burn so that I can estimate the amount of fuel I need for each meal). I sat outside on my cement steps, huddled over my tiny stove and ate the chicken flavored Ramen out of a beer can. It tasted so much better knowing that I prepared it.The air was crisp and the stars were out. With my eyes closed I felt as if I was already on the trail. 

2 comments:

  1. iCan :) sounds like an apple product. Another great post by Toomler.

    Question 1: What purpose does the penny server? Does it separate the well fuel from the inner fuel?

    Question 2: Do you wait for the well flame to go out and then refill the well and light it again and just repeat until the inner fuel is lit?

    Question 3: How do you turn the stove off? Or do you just wait until it burns out?

    I'm definitely gonna give this one a try now that I have this excellent tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gabe, thanks for the questions, I tweaked the post:)

    ReplyDelete