Friday, August 5, 2011

The Jon, Part IV: karma

I learned a lesson from my attitude toward the Jon, that what goes around comes around. I wished Jon off the trail, when it should have dawned on me that Jon was out there by himself and was maybe a little scared or looking for some companionship. As annoying as Jon was, he was harmless and just looking for a friend.

When I got to Monson, I learned that Jon had gotten off the trail in Caratunk, Maine. Phew! I thought. Problem solved. But that night Karma crept into my bones and after the third day after hiking out of Monson, I experienced foot problems. I stayed an extra day at the Pleasant Pond Lean-too after a not-so pleasant realization that I too would have to get off the trail in Caratunk, Maine.

It has taken me a while to post about the Jon, because every time I got my laptop open, I'd experience a surge of guilt upon thinking about broadcasting the story. It is now that I realize the important lesson I learned which has allowed me to share my experience. Karma is real. We should all remember the golden rule, that you should treat others the way you would want to be treated. All of my negativity towards Jon could have been avoided had I been honest with him. I could have simply explained that I wanted to hike by myself, since that was what I set out to do. Jon was not a mean-spirited person and would have given me my space.

But now I am off the trail and thinking about Jon, and hoping that he is well and got his project done. After all, what's so bad about me staring in his work...unless he's decided to use my picture as a dart board...did I just feel a jab in my sciatica?

No comments:

Post a Comment