Thursday, December 27, 2012

Brain-Tanning a Deer Hide: Day 2

On day 2, A.K.A. Christmas Morning at 8:00am, I was scraping away more hair. I noticed that after soaking the hide overnight in cold water, the hair was giving way to my blade much easier.

I can picture my neighbors laughing and giggling with their children over gifts under the tree Christmas morning and suddenly catching a glimpse of a girl donning a trash bag and green rubber gloves while dumping liquid out of a 5 gallon bucket in her drive way. I can see them shaking their heads and the words "What a creepy little girl," flashing on their foreheads like neon lights. 

I got about half of the hair removed when Slack came down and reminded me that the festivities would be starting soon and there were still gingerbread cookies to be made.

Have I mentioned that aside from curious neighbors I have been able to manage, thus far, stealthily?


2 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds definitely labor intensive and certainly interesting, what are you going to make with the hide once it gets to that point?

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS You could never be creepy - maybe eccentric - maybe marching to the beat of your own drum for sure - but never creepy! :)

    ReplyDelete