Friday, December 28, 2012

Brain-Tanning a Deer Hide: Days 3 & 4

On day 3 I skipped the gym after work to scrape more hair. I have about an 8" x 1 1/2 ' long section left to do. I think it would help if my blade was sharpened.  This day was uneventful other than the fact that my heart jumped every time I heard footfalls in the kitchen. I just want to give people fair warning before they see a seemingly disturbing sight.

On day 4 I finished the hair removal and racked my hide.

Step 2: Hair Removal




   
Step 2: Hair Removal
 Racking the hide took a little more time than I expected. The hide is extremely tough and my attempts of using scissors and then a nail to poke holes around the outer edges of the hide failed. I ended up grabbing a sharp kitchen knife. I pressed firmly down on the blade with one hand and tugged upward on the hide with the other hand. Some areas of the hide were thin and ripped and other areas were extremely thick. I was tempted to use Slack's drill.

Step 3: Racking the hide

I am standing in front of the hide that I racked.
 This morning I saw a mouse in the garage and it saw me. It's legs and arms were spread out and clinging to the wall. I asked it to please not chew a hole through my hide. Hopefully it got the message.

2 comments:

  1. So how are those moccasins coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just continued last night! I am in the process of dry-scrapping the hair-side.

    ReplyDelete