Thursday, October 21, 2010

Taking a Pole or Two

Mike on the AT


This morning I gave my hiking poles a second try, through less treacherous terrain and I began to appreciate the multiple uses they provide:

Weapon, cobweb wand, snake and bear signaler, catapult, extra set of legs, weight support, arm toner and depth stick. It is also a great accoutrement in a hiker photo.  

I did a bit of research and found that poles reduce impact on knee joins and leg muscles, tone muscles which support and relieve leg muscles and improve circulation; ones' hands no longer swell up when it is hot because the arms move so the blood doesn't pool in the hands. "A study published by Dr. G. Neureuther in 1981 proved that use of "ski poles" while walking reduces the pressure strain on the opposite leg by approximately 20%" (http://www.slackpacker.com/trekking-poles.html).
My hiking buddy, poles and feet.

When I was about 10 years old I watched the movie “What’s Eating Gilbert Grape.” The credits rolled to the Proclaimers belting “I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more.” I thought, why would anyone willingly walk that far? In June my hiking poles and I will walk this distance times four. 
The forest floor this morning

1 comment: