Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Water Purification

There is debate as to whether to bring drops or a filter as a water purification method. I was discussing this very topic with thru-hiker, M.J. Fox, and he brought both Aquamira chlorine dioxide drops and the Sawyer Inline Filter. He said that both were very popular on the trail and those with the drops would suggest drops and those with filters would suggest filters. Fox was able to experience the pros and cons of both.

Fox started off with the drops and after mile 1200 he got a filter. When the water looked good he used the drops, when the water was questionable he used a filter and when the water looked really bad he used both. He had to resupply himself with the drops 2 times and he was using the pump so I may be looking at 3 times restocking the drops. He also said that he only needed one filter but it wouldn’t have lasted him more than 980 miles.

A 1oz bottle of Aquamira drops treat up to 30 gallons of water (1gallon = 3.785 liters, therefore, 30 gall=113.55L). If I was drinking 2Liters/day then the tablets would last me 56.77 days. I will be on the trail for at most 180 days which would mean I would need 3 bottles of Aquamira total.

I may be off in saying 2L/day. Until I hear back from my experts I will have to rely on Wiki when it reads that “Moderate activity in a moderate climate requires 2 L of drinking water per day.” I will also have to treat the water I use for cooking and my level of activity will vary, so to be safe, let’s say I am treating 3L/day. This would require 4.75 so 5 bottles of the Aquamira to last the entire trip. It costs $13 online ($65). Fox suggested bringing duct tape. The bottles end up cracking and when you go to treat your water all the chlorine dioxide has leaked out. Duct tape the bottles to keep them from leaking.

The filter is a 1.8 oz $56 dollar contraption. It clogs, but Fox trusted its abilities even after filtering black, stagnant water. Fox said it wouldn’t have lasted longer than half of the trail and that was while using the drops some of the time so I may require at least 2 maybe even 3 filters for the entire trial. ($168)

Conclusion:
I have decided to make the comparison based on 4 categories:
1. Cost- even if I had to purchase 5 bottles ($65) it would cost half the amount I would spend on 2 filters ($112) and I may need 3.
2. Weight-The Aquamira drops come in a 1 oz bottle while the sawyer pump is 1.8 oz
3. Effectiveness- Fox seemed to think the filter was a more reliable water treatment method, but since it has been a snowy winter, I may not come across dark water.
4. Durability- Fox duct taped the drops so they wouldn’t leak, his filter clogged and would not last him more than about ½ the trail.

Fox suggested starting off with the drops and then maybe getting a filter as I get closer to the south if need be.

Expert Ed Spaulding (www.NorthlandAdventure.org) suggests bring a pump filter for 5 reasons:
1) the water tastes better, 2) less likelihood of cross-contamination, 3) you can get water from shallow sources easier, 4) Iodine is suppose to be bad for kidneys after about six months of constant exposure for that dosage, 5) You can't run out, just keep it clean. But bring a back-up of iodine tablets just in case your filter breaks.


I know that I will not bring Iodine tablets. Not only is there a bad aftertaste but Spaulding said he used them in the Whites and got giardia twice.


Readers, your comments are welcomed!

3 comments:

  1. Fox just informed me that some days he would consume 2L while other days it would be around 6L. To be safe, let's say that I need to purify 4L/day for 180 days, this would require:

    113.55L/4L=28.39 days
    180days/28.39= 6.3 about 6bottles

    6x13=$78

    ReplyDelete
  2. fox has a good point. i was definitely going to say estimate 4L/day. also, i recommend boiling your cooking water - therefor saving on drops and pumping energy/time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used a SteriPEN on the AT and the PCT.I started the AT with a pump but soon changed to the SteriPEN.90 seconds for 1L of water. 4AA Lithium batteries will treat more than 100L. The SteriPEN cost $100 but it works great.
    mtnlion

    ReplyDelete