Friday, June 24, 2011

Barefoot Hiking


On day three between the four blisters that had developed and Naysayers words, you're going to have so many blisters that by the time you get to Massachusetts you'll get off the trail, playing over and over again in my head I decided to take my Asolos off and give hiking in my smart wool socks a go. It felt great! And much better on my knee which was giving me trouble ever since Katahdin. My knee injury stemmed from over a year ago when my friend Steve and I had the bright idea to hike the Wapak trail (22 miles) in one day. Ever since then I have had knee issues going downhill. The following day I took the socks off and hiked in "Mysolos".


Three days later I wake up to see three new people in the lean-too. We exchanged names and why we were hiking the trail. Out of nowhere Aubry said/asked, "you're the barefoot hiker?!" I looked down at my fly bitten and dirt-caked feet and said, "Well, I didn't do it to hike barefoot, initially I took off my boots," Aubry cut me off, "because you were getting blisters, we know because they told us at White House Landing." 

White House Landing is a hiker hostel/resupply diamond in the rough 45 miles from Mount Katahdin. I went there to restock. You hike 1.2 miles off the trail around a lake, sound the air horn one short blast and wait on the boat dock for your pick-up. Bill and and son Ben came and got me and I was able to resupply in the camp store. He asked where my shoes were and I explained that I was getting blisters.

"We have been following your tracks for 3 days now, we couldn't wait to meet you!" she exclaimed. I was shocked, I laughed and said that today was day four. 

That same day I met Natalie and Jake and after a short conversation she looked down and said, "Oh, you're the barefoot hiker...we heard about you."

Two days ago, I happened upon two Northbounders who were resting at the blue blaze to the lean-too. I hiked to the lean-too and after an hour a hiker couple showed up. "So you're Dutch," she said to the guy next to me, "and are you barefoot?" "Well, yes I guess I am," I laughed. Apparently, Chainsaw, told them that I was the barefoot hiker.

So I guess I have made a bit of a name for myself. And now I want to hike it on through.

Now after a week of hiking my soles have toughened quite a bit.When I first began, my feet were very tender going through pine sections; about every three steps I would wince and have to pull pine needles out of the bottom of my foot. I would stub my toes and step on sharp sticks. Now I can comfortably walk through these sections with little pain. 

Originally I wanted to hike the trail barefoot but then I gave into $170 gortex Asolo boots as well as the $35 super feet insoles. Now I am making my own super feet. 

4 comments:

  1. So you've come full circle and ended up hiking barefoot like you originally wanted :) love you chica!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could say you are no longer pining away about going barefoot hiking.
    You go solo girl!
    I love you, ya little barefoot hiker girl you.
    m. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS
    Congrats on conquering the 100 Mile Wilderness, Jillbug!!
    And in your birthday feet, my goodness.
    xo
    have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smells like a trail name to me! Hahaha, totally awesome :)

    ReplyDelete