Saturday, June 25, 2011

Money Pit

I was making a mental tally of all of the money I could have saved if I spoke to an oracle prior to my trail departure. If I had known that my boots were going to give me blisters and I was going to hike barefoot, I could have saved $235 between the Asolos, the superfeet, and the waterproof spray. If I had known that I was going to lose one hiking pole in the Nesowadnehunk River the second day (after getting caught in the current and being swept down river) and that I was going to ditch the remaining pole while hiking through a thunder storm the 8th day for fear of getting struck by lightening, I could have saved another $85. Had I known I would not be able to eat the foods that I bought in bulk for five months in a row and used all of this money to restock in trail towns, I could have saved $1,000 (this one really hurts).

Oh well, I am trekking and learning every step of the way.

Some things that are key:

Toilet paper
knife
head lamp
ointment (takes care of chafing)
Bug net
Matches
Birch Bark (to get the fires started)

6 comments:

  1. I thought you were going to end with:

    gaining all of the experience while on the trail and finding myself... priceless :)

    Love you chica!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to Nat's comments on top of your blog as well!
    Under some things that are key I think you forgot to mention, "a really supportive mother"
    xo
    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS
    You have a card here which I keep forgetting to give to you, so much for the really supportive mother thing, it's thoughtfully from Tim R. I will make sure it's delivered soon.
    xo
    M

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Jilli, Dad is in a crazy Google loop, so he's posting here:
    "Wow, Jill, Mom has created quite the little writer! Mom is Mic Mac Indian, but somehow you came out like me, a Tender Foot Indian, like me!"
    I love you.
    Papa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Jill, Mom has created quite the little writer! Mom is "MicMac Indian" but somehow you came out like me "Tender Foot Indian" I love you,
    Pappa

    ReplyDelete