Friday, July 1, 2011

Eight Legged Suspense

You get over your squeamishness for bugs really fast on the Appalachian Trail. At the Potowaja lean-too Techy looked up to find a palm-sized wolf spider with all 8 of its eyes looking back as his two meat-ball-sized eyes from its throne on the ceiling beam. If I could read spider I’m sure this arachnid was signing that’s right, you’re in my territory now…want to play king of the mountain lean-too? That night Techy and I popped our tents inside the lean-too…it was going to rain and we didn't want some man-eating spider raining on our parade.

From that night on I got into the habit of inspecting the log bungalows for cob webs and their long-legged weavers. I would sleep with a bug net over my head, my mummy sleeping bag zipped up all the way, with my arms tucked in.

The morning I decided to get off the trail due to my injury I awakened, stretched and looked up to find a spider suspended from its sticky silk line. It had dropped from the beam above and was just inches above my head. When we locked eyes, however, it retracted as if its thread was a winch and retreated it back to the ceiling. This made me laugh.

Often I see people get freaked out when they see bugs, and squash them out of fright. But I have always practiced the rescue and release method to dealing with the insects that make a wrong turn and end up lost in our house. I set them free. Now it is I who has taken the turn onto the white blaze corridor, only I am not lost, I am visiting. Our world has made us accustomed to living separately from nature but I want to be apart of it.

The golden rule is to treat others the way you want to be treated. Since I have been good to those weary winged travelers who are just trying to get back outside, I suspect they will be good to me as I sleep out in the open without a bug net, my arms outstretched, breeze on my skin, with the loon song lulling me to sleep. 

4 comments:

  1. Ed S. of NorthlandAdventures.com said: When encountering a large, well-feed spider, concern should not be directed toward the spider. But rather consider what the gorged dude has been eating. Its those bugs: mites, fleas, flies of all types, and mosquitoes that should worry people more. I say bravo to my eight-legged bug zapper, and sleep well knowing someone will be watching over me and making sure I can sleep soundly without the buzzing of a mosquito in my ear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ed S.: Oh, but as you get south. Mind the less kind ones, that live in the privy's: black-windows and brown recluses. Just lift the lid and drop it a few times to make sure its safe to sit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to sit in a privy, I do this thing where I hover above the seat. I have this fear of spiders biting me in the butt...I guess I wasn't that far off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ed S.: Its been known to happen down south. Certain male appendages have suffered greatly in the experience according to SOLO first aid instructors.

    ReplyDelete