Sunday, December 26, 2010

Contacted Bill Bryson

I wanted to share with you the correspondence I had with Bill Bryson, author of “A Walk in the Woods,” via email:

Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Dear Mr. Bryson,

A thru-hiker once told me that not many people accomplish even one of their dreams. Your story, “A Walk in the Woods,” inspired me to turn my dream of thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail into a reality. I plan on heading out in June upon graduating. Your passages had me both laughing and crying. I loved that you and Katz had bonded to a point where he was willing to trek four miles back to get your walking stick.

I have started a blog: www.trackingjill.blogspot.com to keep a record my own experience. I have begun interviewing thru-hikers so that I can better prepare myself for the trail. Mike, A.K.A, Michael J. Fox, a thru-hiker named after his celebrity lookalike, finished the trail a week ago and filled me in on hygiene, food and women. I was familiar with terms such as blue and yellow blazing but never “pink blazing” –a label given to a guy who slows his pace to hike with the girl he is interested in. This lasts as long as she pulls her hair into a ponytail and exposes her unkempt armpits.

Ever since I read your account I have been itching to learn more about your trek. Would you consider a walk “thru” your experience with me over a cup of tea? It would be an honor.


Regards,

Jillian M. Toomey



Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Dear Jillian,

Many thanks for your message and apologies for the delay in responding, but I get a lot mail here and am always hopelessly behind.  I am afraid I am not able to meet, but I do wish you every success with your hike and hope you have a wonderful experience.

Thanks again and best wishes.

Yours sincerely,
Bill Bryson



I was so excited when I received the email from Mr. Bryson, because he is famous and I love his words and now I have his good sentiments.

No comments:

Post a Comment