Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Sometimes it Doesn't Go as Planned

I got stumped. 

My friend invited me out to western mass to hike the 7 Sisters of the Holyoke range. It sounded like an awesome idea, and by the time we set out the sun was going down. He was not sure how long it would take or how long the trail was but we had our headlamps and a full container of Oreos so we were set. Since it is a range we parked a car at each end. We parked my car at the end point and his car at the starting point. When we were about 20 minutes from the summit house (where my car was parked), he turned and asked, "you brought your keys, right?" That would have been the smart thing to do. My thoughts rewound to getting out of his car at the trail head, me putting on my pack and sliding my keys underneath his back seat. I believe I even patted them twice. So after a moments pause, I relayed the unfortunate news. "I don't believe you" he said with a tight laugh, "you're such a jokester." So, I was completely calm and suggested that we try hitchhiking, since it would be practice for the trail. On the way down the auto road to my car, I thought of an idea. What if we rolled my car down the hill and got it into gear (Plan B). This shows how much I know about mechanics because, my dad informed me later this morning that the key is needed to ignite the engine and rolling it down the hill would not do anything. Anyways, we put my car in neutral and pushed it as far as we could and the wheel locked. "Why does it do that?" I asked. "So that someone can't steel your car," said he. Place C, we walked to the road and attempted to  thumb a ride. Luckily his friend was able to give us a lift to the trail head where my friend's car was parked. Having a plan is good, but having a plan that doesn't work out is a great opportunity to get creative. I thought it was a pretty awesome night!

No comments:

Post a Comment