Thursday, December 23, 2010

Walking-our most primitive form of transportation

Right now I am supposed to be finishing up Christmas shopping but the events that just went down at work have made it impossible to do anything but type. Today a naysayer, upon learning of my future endeavor, asked what I was doing to train for the trail. I explained that I hike when I can. As I said this he was shaking his head. “How far do you walk every day?” he asked. I joked and told him from home to work which is all but 0.1miles. He was not amused. I reiterated that I hike occasionally. Again, the head shake. “How would you prepare for the trail,” I asked. According to him I should walk two miles everyday for one month and double it every month till June. A novel idea, however with a semester left and a thru hike to fund I will be spending most of my time studying and working and hiking when I can. According to Naysayer, I need to practice walking everyday for six months in order to build the muscle I needed to carry my bodyweight for the six months I’ll be on the trail. Were we not designed to carry our own body weight? I thought. Yes, I will have a pack, which will be no more than 30lbs, however, we were designed to walk. Since when did walking, our most primitive form of transportation, become exercise? The other thing he told me was that I should walk coming down on the balls of my feet, otherwise, coming down on your heels you experience the shock up through your spine. Now there is another innovative thought…not. He said, quite confidently, “What’s gonna happen, is your feet will be hurting so bad and you’ll have so many blisters that by the time you get to Massachusetts, you’ll get off the trail.”  I assured him that I was hiking the trail in its entirety. To which he responded rather dryly, “Time will tell.” He even so boldly handed me his card and told me to call him when I get to Georgia. I know one thing, I’m going to accomplish my dream whether or not someone thinks I can do it. I’ll thank Naysayer for one thing…a post. 

4 comments:

  1. I can tell you're angry because it's all one paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Mister Naysayer,

    From experience, yep, That might happen. I quite after about 800 miles in New York.

    Why? Because after two months of hiking and LOTS of reflection time, there were things I felt more important than walking the 2100 in one go.

    But that is just me. Everyone is different. I'm proud of my decision, that I ALLOWED myself to get off the trail early.

    I encourage you, Jill, to hike the trail until you feel you have done all that you want to do. That is part of the beauty of the trail: you don't have to. If that ends up being part of the trail, great! If it's the whole thing, congrats, you are a certified badass in my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jill,

    Took a moment to flip through the older blog posts. You really need to put more thought to proper nutrition on trail. Its literally a killer, without proper hydration and nutrition your body will digest itself and pull nutrients from bones, muscles, and your brain in order to sustain you. Long-term expedition hiking is not a diet plan, its serious business. I've seen many an individual on the AT whom didn't plan very well for their nutritional needs. Get a good multi-vitamin, eat HIGH calorie nutrient rich foods, drink lots of water, and you will be ok. The best research for nutritional requirements are done on marathon runners, and others of that sort. Shop around for a good book. Also, people on medications (i.e. birth control) need to understand that your body doesn't digest things the same under stress. Vitamins sometimes aren't fully digested for that reason as well. And medications may not be absorbed, or may have other complications. Let me know if you need more detailed help on this.

    -Ed-
    Check out his website at: www.NorthlandAdventure.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comment by L:

    You're right; we were designed to walk. When I was about your age I walked 1500 miles thru the Amazon jungle with no preparation other than being young.I also didn't have fancy shoes or special clothes. Mostly this stuff's primary purpose is to make the manufacure and store owners rich. The native people didn't have any clothing and they had no problem walking either.

    ~L

    ReplyDelete