Thursday, November 11, 2010

Complete Kitchen Set!!!!

I finally have a complete and efficient, easy-to-assemble kitchen set. It consists of my Super Cat homemade stove, 900ml titanium pot from REI, heat reflector and windscreen, foldable titanium spork, 91% Isopropyl Alcohol, and Coghlan’s waterproof matches.

Kitchen setup complete with: titanium pot, SuperCat, heat reflector and windscreen 


Tonight I christened my stove and cooked rice and Veggie Knor, dinner for me my nephew and mom. It took 1 minute for my stove to heat up, took 4 minutes for 2 cups of water to boil, and it burned for 9 minutes. I was thoroughly pleased.

First meal


Below is a breakdown of what I have spent on kitchen components:

Handheld hole punch-1.99
Fancy Feast Can-0.65
91% Alcohol- 1.75
Matches- 4.99
Titanium pot- 54.50
Heat reflector and windscreen-15
Titanium spork-10.50

My 900ml Titanium pot was 54$ and the titanium Spork (a gift from a thoughtful friend J) was 10.50$. They will never rust are nonstick and will last forever so definitely worth the investment. My 16 ounce bottle of 91% Alcohol cost under 1.75$ at Walmart. If you use one ounce, once a day for super for 6 months (180 meals = 180 ounces) that would require 11.25 bottles of alcohol, meaning you spend less than 20$ for fuel your entire trip! Coghlan’s Waterproof matches come in a package of 4 for 4.99$. With 45 matches/box you could light your stove once a day for 180 days for 4.99$. Therefore your 6 month long trip can be fueled for just under 25$. Making the Super Cat only cost me 65cents for the can and I needed to buy a handheld punch for 1.99$. I have made three different stoves and this kitty beats all of them. I highly recommend it for it’s quick assembly, light weight (.15oz.), and efficiency (heats whole bottom of stove as opposed to one spot). The heat shield and windscreen reduced the time it took the stove to heat up to a boil by two minutes and reduced the time it took 2 cups of water to boil by 1.5 minutes, so also definitely worth the investment (although I could have probably made one myself).

Whether or not you are a backpacker, I highly suggest that you try making your own kitchen setup. It tastes so much better when you not only made your food but also your stove! 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I love the look of this blog,it is academically and artfully colorful! It makes me happy to just to look at it. My visual endorphines are pumped up and I feel like I have already been on a brisk walk in the woods. So thank you for that, because many times I forget to go for one which happens a lot as I pluck away at the keypad and get lost in my own word forest, if you can picture that one. Anyway, the content; the pace is fast, I think it fits the idea of tracking and hiking and I give you, as the impeccable young author of this blog, a robust roaring A, of course there is always room for improvement! Wink, wink. And, the idea behind your blog is a noble one and I think an inspiring one, too. It makes me want to challenge myself to hike the long trail, even though I may not get to hike the AT,I will look at life's little challenges one step at a time, as if on a great big walk, when you look at it that way, you can succeed at anything you want to...the next time I go on a three mile trek through the woods with my little scout, Molly and some of my best Toomeys and good friends I will appreciate the 2,000 plus miles that a through hiker covers and drinks in and survives and all of the other things that come
    along with taking on such an incredible 'feat'. I will truly appreciate how easy an outdoor stroll is and how uncommonly great it makes you feel when you have accomplished it. So thanks for your blog of fresh air, I really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete