Tuesday, November 16, 2010

How to Pee in the Woods

“To whizz, men just find a tree…with backs turned but in full view…men piss for anyone present sometimes without a break in conversation. Women on the other hand search for a place to hide…where with panties dropped and sweet asses bared, we must assume the position of a flustered duck trying to watch itself pass an egg (Meyer, 86.)”


When I first met with, Michael J. Fox he asked if I was going to wear a hiking skirt, and I thought it to be a bit counterintuitive to be wearing a skirt on the trail, impractical even. I did not give it another thought until I read, “How to Shit in the Woods; an environmentally sound approach to a lost art” by Kathleen Meyer, suggested to me by one of my rock climbing friends. I learned that the reason men traditionally wear pants and women skirts has a biological significance, the fly provides a portal through which the male can water the shrubs and the skirt allows the female to empty her bladder incognito. Anatomically the skirt makes a lot of sense.

Zanika Sportswear provides clothing for women with “overlapping pull-apart layers in the front and front-to-back zippers (Meyer).” “All Zanika designs feature the exclusive "female fly" that enables women to heed nature's call without removing clothing (http://www.womenshooters.com/wfn/ladies1.html).”

“As a rule, men pee with dignity…it's…time women peed with a similar sense of pride.” ~Kathleen Meyer

No comments:

Post a Comment