Monday, February 21, 2011

6.4 mile Loop


I want to give a special thanks to all of the US Presidents for this special day off and for my furry companion for accompanying me during my trek today.

Three hours ago I was supposed to be studying for my developmental biology exam, however, today is a vacation day and so I decided to live it up in the woods.

It has been my goal to hike the loop trail ever since I discovered it back in January. Today was the 6th time that I attempted its entirety.

During the 1st attempt my mom was satisfied after 1.4 miles. During round two one phone call for a last minute babysitting request stopped me at 5 miles. The third time I with mom, Little Bob, Choc and Butter and Little Bob started getting hungry so we took the short cut at marker F4 back to the car (3 miles). During number four I hit the forest floor with cross country skis. I blazed a 3 mile 1’ deep path back to the car. The sun was pooping out and time was not slowing. During attempt Five with ski buddy we realized the incompatibility of carbon fiber with ice so, once again, the F4 short cut us back home.

That marker has been my archenemy for far too long.

So when I told my parents and they asked if anyone could go with me I said, “Nooo way!” The only companion I wanted was one with paws and I almost didn’t bring her because she’s getting O- L- D (we spell it so that she doesn’t get offended). I have experienced way too many premature shortcuts back to the car when hiking with soles.

When I began snowshoeing this morning I started to think about all of the things that could go wrong to amputate my experience. My snowshoes could break, someone could call with an emergency, Molly could poop out, a branch could crash on me or Moll.

Before marker F4 Molly was trailing behind, but I was determined to push on. When we were ¼ mile from the car Molly left me in the snow. But there would be 1.4 miles left to complete. I conjured up ways to get her to follow and I decided that I would coax her with my little package of emergency oyster crackers if need be.

However, the trail borders houses for a stretch during the last 1.4 miles so Molly kept going; she was preoccupied with the smells and marking her spot. I was so happy I could have cried. This is actually happening I thought. When we came to the last marker that completed the loop I hugged the tree and kissed the piece of plastic. This may have been overkill, but nobody was out there just me.

As I walked back to my car sensations that had been blocked with a determined spirit started to surface. For instance I realized I was a bit cold, my boots were soaked through, my socks were wet and my leg muscles were sore, go figure.

After a 6.4 mile 2hr 50 minute snowshoe with an 18 lb pack…I am tempted to give my friend, Mr. Naysayer, a call.
Has litter ever looked so beautiful?

4 comments:

  1. No, litter hasn't! Wow what a beautiful picture and congratulations to you, Jilli, for doing the whole loop, you're a better hiker than me. I love you and i love reading your blog, it's good... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill! Great post and congrats!! By the way am I missing something about the litter? It looks like pine cones to me... or is that the joke?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forest debris (e.g. pine cones and sticks) is referred to as forest litter. But when you think litter you think trash. I think a better name would be forest decor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah ha! Yes, I agree, doesn't fit the "litter" mold at all! Love ya!! See you soon maybe?

    ReplyDelete