Friday, February 4, 2011

A Pedi Issue

Feet Almighty 

I have been experiencing tragic turmoil over what I will wear on my feet. After talking to thru-hikers I learned that most started off with heavy duty hikers and eventually switched to lightweight trailrunners.

I have contemplated hiking barefoot, like the sisters who yo-yoed the trail. After all, this is how the natives get around in the Amazon. I wouldn't have to worry about shoes getting wet, taking up space, or adding weight to my pack. I would, however, have to be careful not to get cuts and watch out for poison ivy and snakes.

I tried barefoot hiking for the first time this past summer. Once I took little Bob in my baby pack and I told a wide-eyed and concerned mom, while hiking up the mountain, that I could not afford shoes.

Speaking of babies, Dr. Spock's advises that they refrain from wearing shoes at least to the age of 3 so that the arches have time to develop as the feet articulate on the surfaces they tread.

Hiking barefoot allows you to come down softly on the balls of your feet when descending and on your heels while ascending. This is the idea behind Vibrams, however, I would NOT suggest them for a thru-hike since they lack durability.
"Hiking barefoot causes virtually no trail erosion since a bare foot makes much less of an imprint than a booted foot...Bare feet are therefore the environmentally sound choice for hiking" according to: http://www.barefooters.org/hikers/.

There are four rules to hiking barefoot
1. Always step straight down.
2. Always watch the path ahead.
3. Try to keep your weight on the balls of your feet
4. Develop habits of awareness.

It takes about a month or so of hiking a few times a week to get your feet toughened for the trail.

I have also considered hiking in Teva's, my trusty Merrell trailrunners, or a pair of homemade moccasins. Ankle boots are out of the question. I have never hiked in them and I have strong joints.

Then I learned about gortex in shoes. A waterproof and breathable material for the addition of a few pretty pennies. I was fixing to get the women's siren sport gortex hiking shoes and stopped into New England Backpacker. They were the same shoe as my Merrell's from 2007 with the holes in them with the addition of gortex and the remission of dirt. I explained to Neil where these soles were going to go and when.

"I think it is a mistake to put gortex in shoes" he declaired. "For instance, they are good up until about 75 degrees. But let's say it's 80 degrees outside, it will be 90 degrees inside your shoe." Gortex also claims to be breathable, but the amount of your perspiration produced out competes the sweat that is wicked from the inside of the shoe. Thank you Neil...I am back to square one.

2 comments:

  1. Comment by Ed at NortlandAdventure.org

    This is an interesting conundrum… What to wear or not wear on your feet for over 2000 miles?

    I used to sell shoes almost a decade ago when I worked at Eastern Mountain Sports and became a huge fan of the ASOLO TPS 520 GV Hiking Boot. It has fewer seams that most hiking boots, meaning its less likely to be torn apart by jagged rocks. Seams rip with wear and tear and I have had a cheaper pair of boots literally fall apart at the seams while on the Long Trail. Hiking is not where you want a boot to fail. And duct-tape is no replacement for proper prior planning preventing poor performance (rule of P’s). The ASOLO 520 GV also has a Vibram™ sole. You want a soft rubber sole to stick to slippery rocks, but a hard sole to holdup against the wear and tear of the trail over time. The Vibram™ company makes sole for many different manufactures of shoes. I once went with a hard Vibram-like knock-off sole and became infamous to the kids as the instructor that falls on his butt. So, be careful about which soles you place the care and protection of your soul in; or you might end up bruised on your butt. Another reason I love this boot is because of the high-cut top. I actually need ankle protection with my boots because I have a history of sprained ankles and an injured ankle can ruin all your hard preparations on trail and ruin many other people’s day. An evacuation of a student with a seriously twisted ankle in the slot canyons of Big Bend National Park, Texas, took about eight and a half hours to go about five miles, and the assistance of 13 people. So when people choose a boot with a low-cut top they can potential sprain an ankle more severely and ruin the trip for themselves and others. On the other side of things, your AT friends account for their switching to a lower-cut top after building up tendon strength, and I have heard of a man running the whole AT in running shoes. The next feature I enjoy about the ASOLO boot is the Gortex™ water-breathable lining. While you friend assets that Gortex™ is only good to 75 degrees, the reality is that you won’t be hiking at high temperatures. Hiking the AT is about waking up at first light in the chill of the morning and getting in most of your miles before the temperature climbs. For the sections I have hiked I rarely experienced high temperatures, with the exception of exposed peaks and road sides. Many of the sections were completed during pouring rain, and I loved having dry(ish) feet when I got to camp. Dry feet are extremely important, because the moisture leads to abrasion and that leads to blisters. For this and many other reasons I also hike with Gaiters strapped to my boots. Yes, it makes my feet hotter, but I have yet to get a blister from wet feet, gravel in my boot, or have tics climb up the inside of my pant leg. The last feature I like, that is fairly standard, is the removable sole inserts. Gortex™ or not your feet sweat a lot when you hike and it’s important to dry your boots every day. So, slip on you camp shoes (that’s right more shoes), and remove your insoles and let your boots dry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comment by Ed, continued:

    As for hiking barefoot, I have known a man at the Audubon Society in Welfleet, Massachusets – Cape Cod; that walks barefoot everywhere on that property for years and only wear boots in a slipper fashion in winter. The Vibram™ Five finger toe shoes are the next best thing to barefoot. The closest experience I have had with these is water-shoes. Like water shoes these aren’t meant to be worn with a sock, fit snuggly against skin, and I question their durability. Similar neoprene style fabrics hold water and I won’t dream of stepping in ankle deep mud with these; oh and I have stepped into thigh deep mud on the trail. But I was wearing my ASOLO boots with Gaiters and long nylon pants, so it was no big deal for me. Finally, it will rain, do you want to be sliding around in bare feet on jagged rocks or in dry comfortable shoes with some amount of traction?

    As for trail running shows, you can wear these effectively with Gaiters, they are available in Gortex, have durable designs using Vibram™ soles, and are lighter weight than a high-cut hiking boots. I use a pair of Merrell™ trail running shoes for running. I have stepped in many a puddle with these and love them over the old fashion non-waterproof running shows. I bought these back in 2004 and have run many a 10K race and they are still in excellent shape.
    Lastly, consider a pair of camp shoes. These are light weight shoes meant to keep your feet clean and dry while at camp, while your boots are drying out from the days hike. I personally have always just worn my hiking boots while at camp. But, there is something luxurious about getting out of your boots after a long days hike that I have always been a bit envious of. This year I invested in a pair of Crocs™ for this reason. They are light weight and can easily be strapped to the back of a pack, plus they make great shower shoes to protect your feet against athlete’s foot and other fungal issues that can happen with shared spaces. Speaking of which, consider hiking with some talcum powder for your feet and boots/shoes. This will keep feet dry and help prevent any fungal problems from developing. In the Homeward Bound program we typically cured children’s foot fungus that they caught in social service housing and detention centers within three weeks of treating them. Whats important to remember in this is not everyone’s feet are made the same. Some sweat less than others, some more, some have “L” shaped feet and other straight. Find what works for you, but consider what your feet will have to accomplish and the conditions imposed on this challenge and then get them the right equipment for the job.

    But don’t take my word for it, listen to some other advice:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ1muR56c4o&feature=related

    Happy Trails!

    -Ed Spaulding

    ReplyDelete