Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Miss. Mopit

I came down the stairs this morning to my parents saying, "We really, really love you, but your hair looks greasy." My mom likened it to a dirty mop picking up debris as it swipes surfaces. "You're not on the trail yet," they said.


My parents think my hair looks like this...



But I can assure you my hair looks more like this.

My dad left the room, returned with a mop on his head, stood beside me and asked my mom if we looked alike.  Luckily, I have a sense of humor, so we were laughing the whole time.

This is something that I will not miss when I am on the trail, mirrors, all 5 of them telling me I look unkempt.  One of the things that resonated with me when I corresponded with thru-hiker Moss was that she missed not caring about her appearance. Society puts so much pressure on you to look good, she explained.

As for me, there will be reflections, just not my reflection, after all I'm pretty sure there aren't any mirrors on the trail and the trees tend to keep their opinions to themselves.

4 comments:

  1. Live strong Jillian! I can't remember the last time I washed my hair... I feel like you're the only one that understands. The truth is, people don't ever take offense until you tell them. Never any complaints about it smelling bad, or looking bad, but then when you mention that you haven't washed your hair it's all "oh my God that's so disgusting". They're all just haters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Gabe, that it's not until you actually mention that you haven't washed your hair that people get all squeamish... but seriously Jill, it has looked a little greasy lately....

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, you would have been disgusted with how much preening and pripming i did today while robert was sleeping...

    I tweezed my brows
    bleached my stash...as in mustach
    brushed, flossed, brushed, picked with the tooth pick, brushed again, and mouth washed
    showered
    shaved everything lol,legs armpits etc
    painted my toes even though they wont be visible today lol
    make up
    straightened my hair
    and spent two days figuring out the perfect outfit for the superbowl party we're going to later...
    do I disgust you?! :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what they say? Opposites attract! How did i have such opposites? I did the same thing. This is a case for nature over nurture for sure.

    ReplyDelete