Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Counting Calories

Saturday I thought I'd get a workout in at the gym, since I get a free membership through my work. I walked in with my pack, not fully loaded, but with a good 15lbs worth of gear inside. Derek, my coworker laughed nervously and asked If I was really going through with it as he raised his eyebrows. I can't blame him, after all, how many gym-goers break a sweat donning a backpack and hikers? Oh well, I wasn't worried because it's supposed to be a judgment free zone.

I jumped on the stairmaster for a interval session at level 10 (I had no idea what this arbitrary number meant so I went mid-way). After 10 minutes I was miserable. With nothing to watch on the TVs and no fresh air I wanted to be done. Hiking is going to be so much more enjoyable when I am not constantly checking my time and calorie expenditure, I thought. Originally I had signed up for 30 minutes, but when a nice gentlemen asked if the stairmaster was open next to me and we observed that it was still in use I saw this as an opportunity for an act of kindness...or an act of desperation, "I'm done with mine...it's all yours!" I exclaimed as I took my leave from my stair disaster.

Next I hopped on the treadmill for a 20 minute session at different inclines. This machine was much easier than the stairs but I couldn't stop obsessing about how few calories I burned in comparison.

I was explaining my gym time to Tank the following day and he asked, "So will it be the last day training?"

I plan on going for more hikes outside, where I will be able to train while watching Molly's feather plume of a tail leading the way and counting the days till I depart.

No comments:

Post a Comment