Thursday, May 19, 2011

Standard Shipping

Drop boxes...they are not going to ship themselves...they demand money. I did a preliminary search the other day on the UPS website and was shocked to discover that shipping a 10lb box would cost $53 dollars.

To get you up to speed, my trip requires anywhere from 22-25 boxes which would result in over $1000 dollars in shipping!!!

I was a bit depressed these past couple of days to think that all my money would go towards shipping and I started to wonder if I was really saving money by feeding myself this way.

Today I stopping in at the post and told the nice gentleman behind the counter about my drop boxes. "I'll need to put about 10lbs worth of food in each box and I will need over 20 boxes," I said. "How much do you think you could fit in that box?" he asked. I looked over to where he was pointing and saw a 3x10x13 cube of cardboard. "I think that'll do just fine!" I exclaimed. "I think I'll be able to fit 10lbs of food in that." "You could put 100lb of food in it...whatever you can cram in there...and it would still only be the standard shipping cost of $14.95," he said. I wanted to hop over the counter and plant one on his cheek, I was so happy! 

"Oh...and the boxes are free," he said with a wink. 

"So, how many do you want?" 
"Oh, I'm still planning I explained, but I'll be back soon I leave next month."
"Talk about pushing the envelope!" 

I love this place! Not only do they have great rates, they also have a sense of humor, I thought. 

1 comment: