Monday, January 24, 2011

Down Time

Jackets insulated with down feathers are light weight and keep you extremely warm but need to be kept dry and are extremely expensive. I was going to get the cotopaxi down jacket from EMS which I saw online and instantly fell in love with, however, when I tried it on in the store I felt like a human meatball.

"Can I help you?" asked the store clerk as he passed by holding some North Face fleeces to hang on the racks. "No, just participating in my own little fashion show," I said as I frowned at my super-sized reflection. "Need an audience," he joked. "Actually," I changed my mind, "I need your help." I told him I was looking for a down jacket that kept me warm but didn't turn me into Humpty Dumpty. He winked and guided me to the women's glacier down which was 50% off. So far, so good. 

"Yes, the Cotopaxi will keep you a bit warmer, but the Glacier is way less bulky. I have used it for backpacking for the past two years and I have been completely satisfied and it is only 60 bucks."

Sold to the lady in hikers!

I will have the jacket sent to me when the temperature begins to dip at night beginning September. I've heard once you go down you never go back.

1 comment:

  1. This comment was posted on my fb by a friend who is involved in outdoor education. You can check out his page at: www.NorthlandAdventure.org


    When it starts to get cold between the hours 2-4 am, you will wish you looked like a meatball. Also, stuff your days clothes in the bottom of your sleeping bag at night, this will wick them "dry" from the days sweat. After all, down is useless wet. And the trail is social, you are never hiking "alone", build a social network of people on the trail with you, that's the best protection. Since people are still the most dangerous animal in the woods, keep the safe ones close to keep the others away. ~Ed S

    ReplyDelete