Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Blabber

I decided to go with Aquamira’s Chlorine Dioxide water purification drops. It is a two part system, a purification duo if you will. Each duo treats up to 30 gallons which is 4L/day. My box of 6 came in the mail today. I figure each will last about a month. 

I also purchased 6 boxes of baking soda. I will use it as toothpaste, soap and deodorant. I cut the handles off of two toothbrushes. I took the roll of floss out of it’s container. 

I went to the lumber yard and asked the clerk if they had any scraps of tyvek lying around. “Nope.” Okay because I’m pretty sure I saw a ton of it outside before I came in. “Thanks anyways.” I thought I’d give it a shot, after all you  never know until you ask, plus one of books suggested that I do just that. My dad is going save me a piece of triflex, a.k.a my ground cloth.

I have had my camelbak for a few months and the other day I was hiking with Drew Blood. I told him that my water tasted funny. “Have you washed your bladder out yet?” he asked, good idea I thought. I washed it out with baking soda and now the water tastes great!

“Are you planning on shaving at all,” asked Tank at work. “No, I’m just going to let it all grow. In a way it will detour guys.” “yea and attract the weird men that like the bushy girls!”

My first aid kit consists of a needle, floss, moleskin, duct tape, and safety pins. Most of the thru-hikers toss their pouches due to non-use. Mine will function as both gear repair and first aid.

I finally got rid of the last of my clothes. My cousin came over and took the last 3 bags and most of my trinkets. She seemed to like everything and I felt much better passing my belongings down to family versus, bagging them up and tossing them in a PlanetAid dumpster. From the volume of clothes I donated they suspected my drawers were almost empty in my room. "You're going to need clothes when you come back," they all say, to which I respond, "I have kept all of my favorites!" At least now I know where I can go if I need to borrow some clothes upon my return to civilization. 

No comments:

Post a Comment