Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Kick Start

I met up with Scout for some drinks and all you can eat tacos and for out monthly catch-up. While I was mid chew of my meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato, and sour cream filled tortilla, he said, “This morning I got up and realized I didn’t have any clean underwear so I had to go to the store before work and get a package of Fruit of the Loom briefs.” This made me think of my undergarment situation.

Thru-hiker, Fox wore the same pair of boxers for 5 ½ months, whereas, thru-hiker, Morning Glory cycled through 3 pairs. I have decided to bring 2; I’ll wear one while I wash and dry the other.

Scout asked how the planning was going. “I still have to figure out what’s going on my feet.” “Way to go Jill, you’re only hiking over 2000 miles in 1 ½ months and still have no idea what shoes you’re wearing…no big deal.” 

He’s right, I need to make a decision fast but committing to a pair of shoes is a bit scary. All issues stem from your feet. Anyone who has been to the chiropractor knows this. “Dr. I have a pain in my neck.” Did you not understand me, my neck is sore…why are you pulling on my toes and twisting my foot? They may put you on your side and crack your back and not even touch your neck before they send you on your merry way  along with a hefty bill.

What if the shoes don’t fit right. It would be best to hike barefoot, but it also needs to warm up a bit and I don’t think I want to start off barefoot on Mt Katahdin. I can't start breaking in my hikers a week before they hit the trail so a trip to the store with a wad of cash and maybe a supportive friend might do the trick. 

No comments:

Post a Comment