Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Nailed it!

Today I purchased six 7" long aluminum gutter nails at the hardware store for $3.25. Though it was a small purchase, it is a big deal. I could have gone with REIs Aluminum Hook Tent Stakes for $1.50 a piece, for a total of $9.00, but I took Reds advice and went with the nails. After all, the little gear adds up.

I didn't waste time putzing around, instead I walked right to the counter and asked where I could find 6" long aluminum gutter nails.

That is one very distinct difference between men and women, the willingness to ask for directions.

He led me to this package of 10" long steel nails, and said, "These are close enough," referring to the length. When I picked them up I knew they weren't aluminum so I said "No, no this is not what I am looking for." I had already been to Aubuchon's where the clerk tried to sell me 2" long screws. "I need aluminum," I explained.

I eventually found them in a red party cup with a piece of Duct tape slapped on, Labeled: 7" gutter nails. I plucked one out, gave it a quick toss in my hand to test its weight, and said, "These are them!" I sort of yelped and danced at the same time. Identical to the ones Red has, I thought.

The clerk asked if I needed another contraption, I'm assuming something that you normally co-purchase with gutter nails, and I said, "No, no, this is all I need," as I plucked out 5 more with a grin. When I saw the confused look on his face I explained that I was using them as tent stakes for my ultralight backpacking trip. He kind of nodded, mumbled something and walked back to the counter. New favorite sound, clink of aluminum.

I realize this is sort of a long post for a simple purchase, I am just so excited that I finally "closed" on my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment