Sunday, April 24, 2011

Water Emergency


I took Mol Mol through the town forest to test out my hikers. It is a 6.4 mile loop that usually takes about 3 hours. I got an hour in and decided I was thirsty so I went to take a drink from my camelbak and realized I was sucking air. Luckily before I left I tossed my water purification bottles in with my kitchen setup, more to get the feel since I wasn't even planning on testing them out.

I must admit I was a little nervous to test them out because I have never purified water before. I came to a vernal  pool at the base of a hill that had collected the runoff and I opted to keep hiking. After vernal pool number 2 my throat was dry.

I knew that I would be fine without water for the extent of my 3 hour hike, for the rest of the day, for the following two days, however, I had a water purification system and I was eager to use it. After all this is going to be a task I complete a couple times every day so I knew that I needed some practice.

I happened upon a marshy wetland and it looked pretty clear so I pulled out my purification system:

I added 7 drops from bottle A and 7 drops from bottle B into the cap and let sit for five minutes.

For the next five minutes I used my pot to add 1L of water to my camelbak. It had a slight green tinge but the water was fairly clear with little debris. I then added the solution to the bladder and put it back in my pack. I waited 30minutes before I finally took a sip, which I was nervous to do. The water tasted great and I am still well and typing so all is good!

My shoes absolutely rock! My feet felt great in them and having them on made me feel like the duracell energizer bunny.

No comments:

Post a Comment